Friday, March 30, 2012

Where to start...


So where to start. I called my regular doctor and went in for a full physical. Wow, they don't take it easy on you. She gave me all these pamphlets about diet and exercise. (You'd have been proud mom, I know how you like pamphlets) Then, I went to the lab and got my first, of many I'm sure, blood test. Then, I went home and worried and stressed. But it was time to get proactive, so I bought the salads and the vitamins and started eating some meat.
 - So I should probably explain, I don't like salad, or meat, or taking pills. So, these are actually very hard things for me to do. But I'm trying...
Then, a few days ago, I get a call from the doctor with the results of my blood tests. And no surprise, I am anemic. I always have been. When I was pregnant with Archer I was taking 2 iron pills a day to keep from having to have a blood transfusion after delivery. When I'm not pregnant I don't take the iron that I'm sure I should because it makes me sick and remember, I don't like taking pills. Sorry, back to the point. The doc gave me two sets of numbers but didn't really explain exactly what they where only that they had to do with my iron levels. The first one she said, peoples should be between 20-50 and mine is 2.1. The second one should be between 100-150 and mine is 12. I'm thinking that this is not so good. So now in addition the huge vitamins that I am already taking I need to take an iron pill twice a day. Well, being nauseous every morning doesn't help either. I hadn't been eating anything before noon. But now, I have to not only eat, but take a pill that makes me sick every morning. But I'm doing it. She also said that she wanted to order an iron infusion.
Let me back track a sec. When I met with her, I asked her, her opinion about OB's in the area. My last three children where delivered by mid-wives, who have since closed their practice. She suggested a Dr. Douglas Tolley and I have an appointment with him on April 18.
Ok, so my doctor asked me in that same phone conversation if I had made an appt with the doctor that she had referred me to, and I told her that I had. So, she said that she would contact him and ask if I could even have the iron infusion procedure done. She said that she would have her front desk person make the arrangements and that if I didn't hear from her by Monday to call back. This was on Wednesday. Monday, really? She thinks I can just sit around and wait for someone to call me? Sure, that's gonna happen. So, yesterday I called the doctor's office and asked for this front desk person only to find out that she wasn't in. But, I explained my concern and the woman answering the phone kindly looked into my chart. The referral for the infusion was actually sent to the local cancer center. So, of course, I called the cancer center. I again explained my concern and the woman there transferred me. In the end, I had to leave a message. I haven't heard back from them. But I will definitely be calling them back again later today.
So this is where we are for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment